Do you struggle with sticking to the ketogenic diet because you don’t have the right ingredients on hand? Having a well-stocked refrigerator can make all the difference! With the right foods at your fingertips, following the keto diet can be easy and delicious.
Are you ready to find out the top 11 keto-friendly items to have in your refrigerator? Let’s get started!
- Eggs: Raw and hard-boiled for easy snacking
- Bacon: Bacon can be cooked up quickly and used in a multitude of ways. Use it as a breakfast side, wrapped around shrimp or jalapeno poppers, or as a salad topper. It’s also good to cook ahead and keep in a ziplock bag for easy snacking.
- Low-Carb Vegetables: Peppers, cabbage, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, cucumbers, celery, etc.
- Leafy greens: Spinach, kale, romaine; Try adding spinach to your morning omelet or in a smoothie with avocado, berries, and unsweetened nut milk
- Berries: Berries are rich in antioxidants that can help protect the body against oxidative stress and inflammation. They are also a good source of Vitamin C for immune health as well as high in fiber. All berries are acceptable on the keto diet, just be mindful of portion size as some berries contain more carbs than others.
- Cooked meat: Chicken, ground beef, sausages, whole rotisserie chicken; These pre-cooked meats make meal preparation easy and convenient. Additionally, when a cooked protein source is ready to eat, you are less likely to reach for the overprocessed keto treats in your cabinet.
- Heavy Cream and Nut Milk: Unsweetened almond, coconut, and macadamia nut milk are great options
- Avocado: Enjoy them in a smoothie, stuffed with chicken salad for lunch, or try our incredible Avocado Egg Boat recipe listed below.
- Cheese and Cream Cheese: Full-fat cheese and cream cheese; Try stuffing mini peppers with cream cheese for a filling snack
- Butter: Enough said!
- Lunchmeat: Pepperoni, salami, ham, turkey, roast beef; Meat roll-ups with sliced cheese are a quick and easy lunch option
Avocado Egg Boat Recipe
Macros for one avocado half (1 egg and 1 strip of bacon):
- Total calories: approximately 240
- Total fat: 21g
- Total carbohydrates: 7g
- Total fiber: 5g
- Net Carb: 2g ( 7g – 5g )
- Total protein: 10g
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 large eggs
- 4 strips of bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop out a small amount of flesh from the center of each half to create a well for the egg.
- Place the avocado halves on a baking sheet and crack an egg into each well.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still runny.
- While the avocados are baking, cook the bacon in a pan until crispy.
- Season the baked avocado egg boats with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with crispy bacon sprinkled on top.
- Optional: Top with chopped herbs or grated cheese.
In conclusion, having these 11 keto must-haves in your refrigerator can make sticking to a ketogenic diet much easier and more convenient. From nutritious high-fat dairy products, eggs, and bacon, to tasty snacks like low-carb berries, having a well-stocked refrigerator can ensure that you have access to a variety of healthy, low-carb options whenever you need them. So take the time to stock up on these essential items, and enjoy the benefits of a delicious and nutritious ketogenic diet.