In recent years, the keto diet has gained immense popularity due to its numerous health benefits, including weight loss, improved blood sugar control, and increased energy levels. However, many people are often deterred from following the keto diet due to the perceived high cost of incorporating low-carb foods into their daily meals. The truth is, eating a ketogenic diet on a budget is entirely possible with a little planning and preparation. In this blog, we have put together a comprehensive budget-friendly 3-day meal plan that includes breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner ideas, all of which are delicious and easy to prepare. With a focus on economical protein sources, this meal plan is designed to cost less than $5-8 per day while keeping net carbs below 30g. Whether you’re new to the keto diet or simply looking for some budget-friendly meal ideas, this 3-day meal plan is sure to inspire you with its simplicity, variety, and affordability.
Eating Keto on a Budget
Here’s a comprehensive 3-day keto meal plan that’s budget-friendly, delicious, and easy to prepare. Each meal is less than 30g net carbs and costs less than $5-8 per day. All macro information is approximate and based on standard serving sizes.
- Scrambled eggs with sautéed spinach and cherry tomatoes (2 eggs, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, 1 tbsp butter)
- Macros: 372 calories, 28g fat, 19g protein, 6g net carbs
- Greek salad with grilled chicken (2 cups mixed greens, 1/2 cup cucumber, 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup feta cheese, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 4 oz grilled chicken)
- Macros: 485 calories, 33g fat, 38g protein, 8g net carbs
- Celery sticks with almond butter (2 stalks of celery, 2 tbsp almond butter)
- Macros: 172 calories, 15g fat, 4g protein, 4g net carbs
- Keto chili with ground beef (1/2 lb ground beef, 1/2 can diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped green pepper, 1/2 tbsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/2 cup water)
- Macros: 424 calories, 29g fat, 32g protein, 8g net carbs
- Keto pancake with whipped cream and berries (Pancake Batter: 1/4 cup almond flour, 1 egg, 1 tbsp coconut flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder) (Whipped cream: 1/4 cup heavy cream) (1 tbsp butter for cooking) (1/4 cup mixed berries)
- Macros: 389 calories, 34g fat, 9g protein, 6g net carbs
- Chicken drumsticks with roasted vegetables (2 chicken drumsticks, 1 cup mixed vegetables, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper)
- Macros: 472 calories, 31g fat, 38g protein, 9g net carbs
- Cheese and pepperoni (1 oz cheddar cheese and 8 slices of pepperoni)
- Macros: 150 calories, 12g fat, 8g protein, 0g net carbs
- Pork chops with cauliflower rice (2 pork chops, 1 cup cauliflower rice, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper)
- Macros: 507 calories, 33g fat, 46g protein, 6g net carbs
- Keto omelet with avocado and bacon (2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 2 slices bacon, 1 tbsp butter)
- Macros: 476 calories, 41g fat, 17g protein, 6g net carbs
- Greek salad with canned tuna (2 cups mixed greens, 1/2 cup cucumber, 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup feta cheese, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 4 oz canned tuna)
- Macros: 486 calories, 34g fat, 38g protein, 8g net carbs
- Greek yogurt with mixed nuts (1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup mixed nuts)
- Macros: 253 calories, 19g fat, 17g protein, 6g net carbs
- Ground beef stir fry with broccoli (1/2 lb ground beef, 1 cup broccoli florets, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper)
- Macros: 445 calories, 32g fat, 30g protein, 7g net carbs
Total daily macros: Approximately 1,800-1,900 calories, 130-140g fat, 110-120g protein, 20-30g net carbs
Note: Keep in mind that these macros are approximate and will vary depending on the brand and quantity of ingredients used. Adjust serving sizes or recipes as needed to meet your individual macro goals. Also, feel free to add more or less food depending on your hunger levels and activity level.
Following a keto diet can be a fantastic way to achieve your health goals and improve your overall well-being. However, many people are concerned about the cost of a low-carb lifestyle. With this 3-day budget-friendly keto meal plan, we’ve shown that eating healthily and sticking to your macros doesn’t have to be expensive. Whether you’re just starting out with the keto diet or looking to add some variety to your meal planning, we hope these delicious and easy-to-prepare recipes have inspired you to take control of your nutrition without breaking the bank. So go ahead and give these recipes a try – your taste buds and your wallet will thank you!